Sunday, December 10, 2017

Boneshaker Cherie Priest

Boneshaker Cherie Priest


This book read like an exciting movie, it introduced several interesting ideas and some great world building that really immersed me. I had different expectations about the book, I thought it would have more obscure terms to throw me off, but it was really accessible. Briar is a great protagonist, although she kept Leviticus’s fate a secret was kind of strange; maybe if she just came out and told him Zeke would not have just run through the rotter infested city. I think at least then she would have had more control over the situation, but then again the story might have been a stroll through the park rather than the rip roaring adventure that it is. I loved the idea of how these people found a way to make a drug out of the poisonous gas that can zombify them. Though the scenery and backgrounds are very nicely imagined it is Briar’s stand out determination and grit that really holds it all together. Zeke is a pretty angst ridden teenager, which is not especially annoying but does deserve an eyeroll. I dismissed how there was not any deeper scientific explanation about the blight, how the rotters become that way, or how the many machines work, because the overall story and characterizations were enough to hold my interest. This would honestly be a really good movie, or a series that expands and really gets into detail about the world around them. The visuals I think would be top notch, Cherie Priest does a good job with describing the environment just enough to get us to create good visualizations in my mind I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment